Eat Good Food

This is a blog about food, good food. My mission in life is to educate good people about bad food.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Broccoli

For years I've enjoyed this stalky vegetable steamed on a plate, stir-fried in a wok, pureed into soup, stuffed into a pie or plunged raw into a bowl of dip. I wouldn't say I LOVED broccoli. It was always good, but not my knock-down absolute favorite vegetable. No, that place was always reserved for the artichoke. That is until I discovered roasted broccoli.

Roasted broccoli. Yes, roasted. Roasted as in a large pan, drizzled with olive oil and salt and cooked in a 400 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, roasted. Think potato, but different: tender, muted green, succulent. I've been on a roasted broccoli kick for about six months now. Every week I buy at least two pounds of broccoli for the sole purpose of roasting it. Mainly we eat it as a side dish, but a few weeks ago I created my new favorite lunch, which I will graciously share with you now:

1 whole wheat tortilla, slightly warmed
1 cup roasted broccoli, preferably cold from the frig
1/4 avocado, sliced
5 green olives, sliced
A slice of sharp cheddar or goat cheese
A squirt of fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Place the tortilla on a large plate. Arrange broccoli, avocado, olives, and cheese on top of the tortilla. Squirt a little lemon juice on top, and finish off with salt and pepper. Roll up and place on a plate next to a handful of those good, fried in olive oil potato chips. Then make yourself sit down (this is the hardest part for me!) in a serene place and eat this sandwich (ok, ok, it's a wrap, but it's not one of those icky, flavorless, often gooey-to-the-tooth tortilla wraps you'll find in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods). I hope you will enjoy this lively, savory, salty, fatty, good for you creation as much as I do.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home